Monday, February 6, 2012

Melon Mousse

I was trying to figure out what to do with this so/so tasting cantaloupe I already had chopped up and sitting in the fridge when I stumbled across this recipe. Not only is it starch free, it's delicious!

I pretty much just followed her recipe, except I was only using one type of melon So instead of doing the two types mousses separately, I doubled the amounts for one.


Melon Mousse:
serves 4-6, adapted from this recipe
2 cups (your choice of melon, I used cantaloupe) melon purée, chopped and pulsed in food processor or blender until smooth
3 tsp powdered gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 - 1 cup cold heavy cream

Put gelatin and cold water in a small bowl to allow the gelatin to soften. Put melon purée in a medium saucepan with sugar and lemon juice and heat on low until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add softened gelatin to the mixture, heat and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

Remove from the heat and chill mixture in the fridge until it reaches room temperature and is starting to thicken. Whip heavy cream in a large mixing bowl to soft peaks. Add vanilla to melon mixture and then fold in whipped cream until all the lumps are removed. Pour into 4-6 individual serving glasses and chill in the fridge until set, at least 45 minutes. I just decided to add the strawberries at the end as garnish, and that part is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...