Friday, August 17, 2012

{No Starch in My} Pizza

I happened to try out this recipe at the exact point in time when I needed something like this: it's simple to make, relatively quick, infinitely customizable, all of the ingredients can be kept on hand and I was starting a new job and was definitely at a loss for time when it came to cooking. And it's pizza. I mean for realz, who doesn't like pizza?

If you can't eat grains, you have to try this recipe, or even if you're just gluten intolerant or are trying to cut back on complex carbs, you should keep this recipe in your back pocket.

The most time consuming part for me is making the sauce. If you can eat store-bought sauce, that's even more of a time-saver. But we've found that pretty much all store bought tomato based sauces tend to be starchy, so I always make tomato sauce at home from fresh tomatoes. I adapted this pizza recipe from one that I found on this blog. And in this post, I'm including a recipe for basic tomato sauce and a recipe for white sauce, for those times when you don't have any tomatoes on hand, but still want pizza. (That's actually why I developed the white sauce recipe in the first place. Except I realized I didn't have any tomatoes after I had already made the crust.)

{No Starch in My} Pizza
serves 4-6
ingredients for the crust:
8 ounce package of full fat cream cheese (at room temp.)
2 egg whites and 1 whole egg
salt & pepper
garlic powder, dried basil leaves, dried oregano leaves
1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese
ingredients for the pizza:
1/2-3/4 cup tomato sauce*
4 ounces mozzerella cheese, sliced thinly
fresh or dried basil and oregano
your choice of toppings (we love black olives, spinach, tomatoes, etc.)

1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 baking dish.
2.) Blend the cream cheese with the eggs until smooth, then mix in dried seasonings to taste.
3.) Add Parmesan cheese and stir until combined, then pour mixture into the baking dish.
4.) Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Let crust cool for 10 minutes before adding sauce, cheese and toppings.
5.) After the crust is done and cooling, raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
6.) Top the crust with sauce, mozzarella cheese and add whichever toppings are your fave. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

Simple Tomato Sauce*
makes 1/2-3/4 cup
2-3 tablespoons butter
4-6 medium tomatoes, chopped (depends on how much sauce you want!)
a small onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
salt & pepper
basil, oregano (to your liking)

1.) Add butter and onion to a saucepan and saute over medium heat until onion is tender and starting to turn golden in color.
2.) Add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
3.) Add white wine and stir to deglaze the pan. Add tomatoes and turn up the heat to medium high.
4.) Once the sauce starts boiling, I usually turn the heat back down to medium and let the sauce lightly boil for awhile, so that most of the moisture from the tomatoes can evaporate.
5.) Once the sauce begins to thicken (after 10-15 minutes), add the seasoning to taste. Turn the heat down very low and let the sauce thicken.

**I never really measure anything when I make this sauce, I kind of just throw in what I have available, go on what feels right, and keep tasting it as I go along. It always turns out delicious; this sauce is almost impossible to mess up.

Simple White Sauce for Pizza
makes about 1/2 cup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried thyme)
salt and pepper

1.) In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5-6 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute longer.
2.) Add cream, lower heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes, or until cream thickens and reduces slightly.
3.) Remove from heat and stir in any seasoning. Let sauce cool before spreading on your pizza.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! First let me tell you that I love your recipes and blog, I just found it last weekend and I'm so excited. So thank you!! Tonight, I made a huge meal for my family using solely your recipes. Spinach dip for an appetizer served with carrot sticks, pizza with homemade sauce for the entree and for dessert, the mouse chocolate cake. The spinach dip was AMAZING. I've tried at least 10 different recipes and I love yours. The chocolate cake..... well I ate 3 pieces, and my pregnant sister was still the happiest lol. I used dark chocolate instead of semi sweet. The pizza sauce seriously made me seem like a 5 star chef, but the crust was really lacking. It wasn't crispy or solid, it was thin but it still was mushy. Do you think I need to cook it longer until it gets darker/crisper? Also how important is the cooling process - I was thinking of maybe making the crust the night before next time... anyway, thanks again! I'm so happy to have found a place for starch-free recipes. --Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, thanks so much for the kind words! As for the pizza crust: since all ovens are different, definitely keep baking it until it's golden, verging on brown. But this pizza crust isn't going to get super crispy, it'll still be relatively soft. Solid, but soft. I actually don't make this version anymore, because I've found a pizza crust I like better-the cauliflower crust pizza, the latest post on the blog. You can get it really crispy and it feels a lot more like eating regular pizza. Thanks for the feedback, and good luck in your starch free cooking! -Kara

      Delete
  2. Hi! I had a question about the cream cheese you used in the recipe above.... I have found either locust bean paste or guar gum in almost all the cream cheeses at the grocery store. Since I haven't started testing foods with iodine, I was wondering if those ingredients were starchy (since they are from beans) or how your iodine test reacts to the cream cheese. The one I've recently purchased is marscapone cheese, which is an italian sweet cream cheese. Its ingredient list doesn't include any thickeners. Also, ricotta cheese is also an issue. Has your family had any issues with these things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've tested the cream cheese with iodine, and it tested fine. I know that gums are usually fine, and since these additives are in such small amounts, we've never had any issues with them. But if you're worried, you can try out my other cauliflower crust pizza recipe instead here: http://astarchfreecookbook.blogspot.com/2013/09/cauliflower-crust-pizza-with-white-sauce.html If you do try to make the crust with marscapone, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...