Thursday, December 6, 2012

Starch-less Cheddar Crackers


Okay, I know what you're thinking. What the hell is this? Well, I promised you that I'd post the recipe for cheddar crackers and then promptly realized that I never got any good pictures of them before they were all gone. And I haven't had a chance to make them since. But as they go excellently with my last post (hot spinach dip), I figure I should just get to it. As well as going well with dip, they're also tasty broken up into little pieces as a topping for soup.

When you make these, err on the side of more thin. Mine were a little too thick because I didn't want to make them too thin, and of course I had the opposite problem. If they're not thin enough, they won't crisp up correctly. These would also make a good foundation for nachos. A later post!

And I promise when I get better pictures I'll redo this post.

Cheddar Crackers - adapted from Healing Foods
makes about 35
1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup sour cream
course salt
optional seasonings:
1/2 teaspoon dried sage and/or thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder - I used this...
1/2 paprika - ...and this

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Combine the cheddar with the almond flour, sour cream, and seasonings (except for course salt) and knead until all ingredients are combined.
3. Place the dough onto the lined baking sheet. Put another layer of parchment on top of the dough, then roll the dough between the two layers out until about 1/16 inch or 2mm thick.
4. Remove the top layer of parchment and press the course salt sparingly into the dough. Then with the edge of a knife, cut the dough into cracker-sized pieces.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until slightly browned. Let cool and store in an air tight container.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    Wondering what you'd recommend other than almond flour? I see you use almond flour quite a bit on here. I have a nut allergy.

    Was thinking either quinoa flour or gram/ besan flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,

      Being completely starch free is hard with a nut allergy. Either of those might work for you, but unfortunately, quinoa and chickpeas are both starchy and wouldn't work for our (strict) diet. Really, I guess it depends on how strictly you need to stay starch free. Both of those are gluten free, but not starch free. I know some people have had success with coconut flour, but it's not something I have much experience with yet.

      Thanks for the question and good luck!
      Kara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...