Monday, April 2, 2012

Almond Flour Pancakes


A couple of years ago when Roi first made the jump to a completely starch free diet, we both thought that pancakes would be something he'd have to give up forever. But last year while I was trolling the web, I came across some Paleo recipes that used almond flour and eggs to make pancakes that have the same taste and consistency we were used to in traditional pancakes. I made a few tweaks because the Paleo diet isn't synonymous with a starch free diet and here we are! In delicious pancake land.

Almond Flour Pancakes
serves 2 ~ about 3 medium pancakes each
1/2 cup almond meal/almond flour (it's the same thing, I buy mine from Trader Joe's)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
butter for frying

Sift or whisk the dry ingredients together. Whisk in the cream and vanilla, then the eggs. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add a little butter to the pan. These pancakes will spread, so I usually like to use a small egg-frying pan and only 1/4-1/3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until the pancake seems set and you can see little bubbles all over the top, then flip. Make sure both sides are golden brown and the pancake is cooked through. Mix the batter in between pancakes because it will separate slightly.

Having pancakes with sliced strawberries and whipped cream is my favorite way, but you can serve these however you'd serve regular pancakes. In the past, I have made these with blueberries, but the pancakes never stay together as well when the berries are mixed into the batter, so I usually serve the fruit on top after the pancakes are cooked. Roi likes them with with butter in between each layer and with a lot of maple syrup (Real maple syrup is starch free! Hooray! I don't know about the fake stuff though.) 

To make 2-3 servings of whipped cream, put 1/3 cup cold heavy whipping cream into a bowl and mix (I use an electric hand mixer) until thick. Then add a teaspoon of sugar and whip until stiff peaks form and it looks like whipped cream should. Then just dollop as much as you want on top of your pancakes. (I used a piping bag because I like to get fancy.)




9 comments:

  1. I'm gonna try this recipe this weekend! Thanks Kara!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant eat starches or bread. So finding things to make its pretty difficult. I have been searching for pancake recipes with no starch. I don't understand why every single recipe I have seen that says "NO STARCH PANCAKES" .. one of the first things I read in the recipe is "baking powder" or "baking soda".. which contains STARCH. So do you know why this happens?.. or if someone who cant eat starch shouldn't worry about adding baking soda into a recipe?. I've been wanting to ask every single person who has post a recipe like this. I chose to ask you because it says " A Starch Free Cookbook".. which made me think you mite be able to answer my question. Thank you!. (I hope this docent come out as if I am being mean.I am just reaaaally wondering about it.. I just want pancakes! haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene- Baking soda and baking powder are two different things. Baking soda is simply sodium bicarbonate and contains no starch, so it is fine to bake with, and it is what I use in my recipes. Baking powder is a combination of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), monocalcium phosphate, and corn starch, which is obviously starchy. So I do not use baking powder in my starch free baking. Just check the ingredients first, but as long as it's only baking soda, it's fine for you to use. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Im wondering if banana can be used as an emulsifier and if the heavy cream can but substituted for buttermilk?

      Delete
  3. Something that might be helpful as someone who loves pancakes. When I tried putting almonds on regular Johnny cakes, the almonds made it so that it would not spread out like a normal pancake.

    I'll have to try this, since I might try a 4 Hour Body diet. Have this on the non splurge day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, that's if you don't crush the almonds.

      Delete
  4. Having Problems FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to eat some delicious recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out this book: Paleo Hacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to use this golden opportunity to say thanks to Chief Dr Wealthy for curing my ( DIABETES VIRUS) with his Herbal Medicine. i have being suffering from DIABETES Virus for 5 years now,and since then was using drug over which keep me till today,but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a lady who was cured for DIABETES by Chief Dr Wealthy so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact him via email: wealthylovespell@gmail.com

    Chief Dr Wealthy have cure for any types of disease blows, call or Whats App +2348105150446.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...