Monday, April 23, 2012

Almond Macaroons


These cookies take less than 10 minutes to put together and are perfect for anyone who can't do regular cookies because of the starch &/or gluten. I actually made them this morning before making Roi his breakfast & lunch so that I could pack a few in his lunch for an afternoon snack -- that's how quick they are to make. They're chewy in the middle, crunchy on the outside and taste like amaretto. And I may have a eaten a few for a pre-breakfast snack.

You can substitute other kinds of nuts for the almonds (like pecans or macadamia nuts) but I haven't tried out those varieties yet, and I don't know for sure whether or not those types of nuts are starch free (although tree nuts do tend to be starch-less).

Simple Almond Macaroons
yields 12-15 cookies
1 egg white, unbeaten
1 1/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 cup turbinado sugar (aka sugar in the raw), for rolling

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly oil.

2. Mix together egg white, almond meal, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until well blended. Roll teaspoonfuls of the dough between your palms into 1-inch balls. Put turbinado sugar into a small bowl and roll each of the balls in the sugar. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.

{post-rolling, pre-baking}

3. Bake until firm, set and lightly browned (they're going to be darker than regular wheat flour cookies), about 35 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.

{cooling}
{eat!}
-- Kara

4 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! I'm forwarding this recipe to my mom-in-law; she has a good friend with celiac's disease. These would be perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually everything on my blog is gluten free, because starch includes anything with gluten in it. So she might find some of the other recipes helpful too, I know baked goods are difficult for people with Celiac's. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't eat sugar either. I'm wondering if I could substitute xylitol for the brown sugar. Getting bored with the recipes I have developed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried that, but it would definitely be worth a try. I would include a little extra liquid in the recipe if you're substituting for the brown sugar. Brown sugar has more moisture in it than white sugar because of its molasses content. Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...